Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Attitude for 2010

So it's the same story every year. Each January, I re-evalute my career. I consider if it's too late for a career change. A change to something more fulfilling. More in line with my dreams to be a writer. And somehow, I just manage to get sucked back in to the same rat race that has become my current career. What makes it most challenging, are the people that I work with. Not necessarily my coworkers. But people that I have to work with in other parts of the organization. Take for instance last week. I received a new assignment that requires that I work with a new project manager. The new project manager called me in a panic and I think he used the phrase, "lean heavily upon you" several times in our discussion. That is hardworking slacker terminology for, "I will not be doing much." He doesn't even know what he has to do yet. And without even reading the background information, just calls me up to complain that he has received this assignment and is "too busy to figure out what he has to do."

Now the old Tanya would just jump right in and offer to help and do the job of two people. But not this year. As far as I know, I didn't get a pay raise to do additional work. And even if I did, it should be work that's assigned to me. Not work that is assigned to somebody else. This is my struggle. Finding that balance between doing enough to be considered a hardworking employee, without killing myself or having others attempt to dump their work onto me.

I wonder if there are others out there that deal with the same challenge. I don't mind working hard. I just don't like being manipulated into doing someone else's work on top of my already heavy workload.

I'd like to hear your stories. If you are a hardworking employee that has learned a few survival tactics, please share! If you are a hardworking slacker, then why? Please explain?

Tanya Michelle, Author
The Chronicles Of A Hardworking Slacker
http://www.hardworkingslacker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment